2023 is shaping up to be a great year for video games, with highly anticipated titles from Bethesda and Rocksteady set to release. However, uncertainty surrounding the release dates of these games has increased due to the disruption caused by the pandemic. To take this into account, a more mathematical approach has been taken in compiling a list of the most-anticipated games of 2023, factoring in the likelihood of these games releasing before January 1, 2024.
Unveiling the Top 15 Must-Play Games of 2023: A Guide to the Most Anticipated Releases of the Year
- Nightingale is an upcoming gaslamp fantasy survival crafting game with a Victorian-inspired setting and clean departure from the typical desert island and primal backdrops seen in the genre.
- Fortune’s Run is a unique blend of immersive sim depth and boomer shooter speed, featuring complex enemy AI, an alert system, and granular environmental interactivity. The highlight of the game is its peerless melee combat system that allows for Devil May Cry-like combos in first person.
- Stalker 2: Heart of Chornobyl is the long-awaited sequel to the 2007 game Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. The latest trailer doesn’t showcase the game’s graphics, but the underlying systems that bring the game’s bleak, bizarre world to life are what has fans excited.
- Frostpunk 2: The highly-anticipated sequel to the popular survival strategy game, Frostpunk 2 promises to take players on a new journey through a harsh, frozen world. With new challenges and gameplay mechanics, players will be tasked with leading their people to survival in a world where every decision has consequences. 11 bit studios denied rumors of a 2024 release, so fans are hopeful that this game will be released in 2023.
- Alan Wake 2, set to release in late summer/early autumn of 2023, is highly anticipated by fans of the series. Remedy, the studio behind the game, has a reputation for producing unique and distinctive titles, and Alan Wake exemplifies this with its Stephen King-inspired protagonist. 25 Star Trek: Resurgence, an adventure game set in the Next Generation/DS9 timeline, is expected to release in 2023. The game aims to balance new and classic elements of Star Trek, and has so far looked promising despite some technical shortcomings.
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2, with no confirmed release window beyond 2023, is expected to showcase the scale of the Warhammer 40,000 universe more completely than any previous game. The developer, Saber Interactive, has promised to use its proprietary Swarm Engine to put hordes of aliens on screen without melting graphics cards.
- LOTR: Return to Moria is set to release in spring 2023 and is highly anticipated as the first survival game set in J.R.R. Tolkein’s world of Middle-earth. The game will focus on reclaiming the lost kingdom of Moria and promises to include dwarves, beer, and potentially a Balrog.
- Destiny 2: Lightfall, set to release on February 28, 2023, is expected to bring significant changes to the game with the introduction of a new Strand subclass, new locations, enemies, and a new raid. The expansion also includes a grappling hook feature that is expected to bring chaos and delight to players.
- Dread Delusion, an open-world RPG set in a strange and secret-riddled world following an apocalyptic event, is expected to release within the next 6-9 months, according to developer Lovely Hellplace. The game’s PS1-style graphics and focus on exploration and discovery are reminiscent of games like Morrowind and Deus Ex.
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage, with no firm release date but expected to release in October, is highly anticipated as a return to the series’ roots with a focus on stealth action and parkouring across busy market rooftops. The game’s reception is expected to inform the direction of the Assassin’s Creed series.
- Hollow Knight: Silksong, with no confirmed release date but in development since 2019, is expected to build upon the already excellent platforming and movement of the original game. The game will feature lovable bug NPCs, challenging bosses and platform puzzles, and a whole new insect realm to explore.
- Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, set to release on May 26, 2023, is a highly anticipated game from developer Rocksteady. With a development period of eight years, it is expected to be either one of the best ‘superhero’ games ever or one of the biggest disappointments of the year. The trailers showcase stylishly choreographed melee combat and over-the-top ranged combat in enormous multi-character brawls.
- Demonschool, an indie tactics RPG, is expected to release in 2023. The game’s unique turn-based battle system focused on movement and positioning, as well as its clever visuals combining pixel-art 2D characters, isometric environments and chunky, retro 3D monsters make it a game full of potential.
- Homeworld 3, which was pushed from an earlier Q4 2022 release, is set to release in the first half of 2023. As one of the iconic RTS games, Homeworld 3 is expected to be one of the technical standouts of the year. The game will also feature a roguelite cooperative mode, making it more enjoyable to share with others.
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, announced at The Game Awards in December 2022, is set to release on March 17. As a Star Wars fan and a fan of the combat style in Jedi: Fallen Order, the new game is highly anticipated. Though not much is known about the game, rumors suggest that it may feature a crossover with the Force Unleashed series, and the storyline will run concurrent with the Kenobi TV series. Players can expect challenging combat, a cute sidekick, and a good storyline with enough twists, as well as the possibility of encountering familiar faces from the TV series.
With so many exciting games on the horizon, 2023 is shaping up to be a great year for gamers. From FPSes to RPGs, there is something for every type of player. We hope our list of the top 15 most-anticipated games of 2023 helps you navigate the upcoming releases and find something you’re excited to play. We would love to hear your thoughts on our list and any other games you’re looking forward to in the coming year. Please leave us your feedback in the comments below.