Don't have time to Read? You Can Hear it:
Gaming is a second life for most, but MMORPGs are a whole different type of virtual entertainment. There is just something that makes you devote countless hours to bettering your character and becoming one with that other world.
More than any other video game genre, MMO and MMORPGs require patience, hard work and ingenuity. A good MMORPG is more than just plain fun – it’s a vacation into another plane of existence, one that you can modify the way you want.
In a genre that is shrouded in legend by now, it’s incredibly hard to pick the best of the best. Despite the challenges, our team devoted weeks to character creation, raiding, blowing up planets and more.
After the testing, the recollection and discussions, we’ve narrowed our list down to the 27 best MMO & MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond. Lo and behold, as we’re going on an adventure to 27 legendary fantasy worlds!
1. Final Fantasy XIV
● Interactive gameplay, from even the most dangerous enemies to grass on the fields
● An easy game to master, but hard to stop playing
● A compelling storyline that has been well-developed
Grinding through the Final Fantasy storyline involves getting a taste of some of the best MMO games of all time. Unfortunately, we had to pick one and Final Fantasy XIV was the final choice. This Square Enix masterpiece is only 5 years old, but it has influenced countless titles.
The beautiful design will make Eorzea feel just like home, even when you’re going through the Seventh Umbral Calamity. Even though the original release in 2010 was rushed, this final version blew the gaming world away.
2. The Elder Scrolls Online
● Challenging gameplay, designed to bring you to the very limits of your capabilities
● Even though it’s not a brand new MMO, it has aged beautifully
● An amazing twist on already amazing lore
Before The Elder Scrolls Online was officially announced, the entire gaming rumor was wondering when will there be a TES MMORPG. Through tireless work by the people at Bethesda, eons and eons of lore and ideas became one of the top MMORPG games of all time.
You get to pick between three factions and battle against spies, dragons and other supernatural enemies. Constant updates and DLCs are sure to keep this breathtakingly designed game going for a long, long time. It’s a must-play work of art.
3. MapleStory 2
● An entertaining skill development system
● An important social component to the game – players can chat, trade and form guilds
● Compelling design, focused on providing a very realistic gaming experience
MapleStory 2 just has to be on this list of the 27 best MMO and MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond. Developed by Wizet and Published by various other companies, MapleStory 2 is a well-improved sequel of the initial anime-based title.
An ideal mix of PvP and PvE, this game is excellent for shorter bursts of gaming, as it has an emphasis on battle. However, if you wish to play it for a longer time, it will not disappoint. While barely a few months old, MapleStory 2’s influence is yet to be seen.
● Influential top MMORPG that shaped the entire gaming world we know today
● A looting system that is still fun and addictive
● Attractive rewards for winners in Dual Arenas
Runescape was an essential part of everyone’s life from 2001 and beyond! We spent countless hours chatting with people we’ve met over the game. This is still one of the best MMO 2019 games, as you can still see people streaming it on Twitch.
Runescape introduced fan-implemented changes, as Jagex (the game’s developers) consulted the community on what to add to it. There’s a mobile version now, which means you can experience one of the top MMORPGs of all time on the go. Enjoy the title that started it all, as you take a walk through memory lane.
5. Burning SoulWorker
● Unique, anime-style design that sets this top MMORPG apart from other titles
● A simple, yet interesting storyline
● Different challenges that can test even seasoned MMO and MMORPG players
There aren’t many cases where a game is designed in a style similar to anime and achieves global success. Burning SoulWorker is one notable exception. As you follow the events of the opening of the “void,” you get to choose one of the six characters to battle otherworldly demons.
Armed with superpowers and confidence, you are in for a treat Lion Games Studios has also announced a sequel recently, too. If everything goes well, we might see another updated to the list of the 27 best MMO and MMORPGs to play in 2019 beyond.
6. Guild Wars 2
● A unique storyline that responds directly to the player’s action and choices
● Quests that are always changing
● No subscription, which is unique in the world of MMO and MMORPGs
Guild Wars 2 is one of the rare MMORPGs where you have a story that’s both inspired by existing works of art and modified by its creators. Based on several short stories by H. P. Lovecraft, this game is a true homage to all the great horror and fantasy works.
Battle your way through scores of enemies and finally defeat the Elder Dragons. While this is not a new MMO by any means, it is still a masterpiece and can be played for many more years. ArenaNet and NCSOFT did a masterful job.
7. Blade and soul
● A strong anime influence
● Real-time battle systems and many camera angles make for an engaging experience
● You have to master the PvE part of the game to advance to the PvP
NCSOFT did something few games managed to pull off. They modified Blade and Soul so that it requires every player to get enough practice before engaging in PvP combat. This resulted in a large number of skilled players, which got the right amount of experience fighting other enemies.
What’s even more amazing about this game is the wonderful homage to Asian culture, especially qinggong. While it’s not a new MMORPG 2019, Blade and Soul is still played and cherished by millions of players.
● Enticing futuristic design for all those that are tired of swords and shields
● Elements of parkour and different types of combat incorporated
● Countless options for improving skills and gear in an open world environment
While Digital Extremes had been planning to develop Warframe since 2000, they only released it in 2013. What was seen as a risky release saw a peak of almost 40 million players in 2018, something every developer would be proud of.
If you love RPGs with a more futuristic feel and co-op modes instead of classic MMORPG setups, this is the game for you. The leveling and skills systems are different from other games, making Warframe a unique experience for every gamer.
9. Lineage II Classic
● 7 different characters per account
● Constantly updated “sagas” and new storylines
● An anime-based, futuristic plot that is guaranteed to impress all fans of MMO and MMORPGs
NCSOFT has done a masterful job with this futuristically designed MMORPG. While the first Lineage game gauged our curiosity, Lineage II Classic made us all fall in love with the characters and features.
Even though the game is nearly 16 years old, its compelling approach to PvP and PvE combat make it one of the 27 best MMO and MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond. Ideal for an afternoon trip into a world of magic and fantasy, Lineage II Classic is an ideal choice for both younger and old school gamers.
10. Black Desert Online
● One of the rare MMORPGs which include real-life elements such as weather disasters, day/night cycles
● Large-scale events such as sieges between the kingdoms of Calpheon and Valencia
● Customizable houses, armor and weapons
While Pearl Abyss wanted to create a top MMORPG set in a high fantasy world, they did much more. Never before has an MMORPG included elements such as NPC living a real life and having actual things to do.
The engine used for the original Black Desert game was modified so that it can allow for fast rendering. As a result, the world is seamless and the gameplay is smooth and realistic. It’s one of the best MMO games of this generation, resulting in a legacy that will only become evident over time.
11. World of Warcraft Classic
● Eons worth of unique and interesting lore
● An interactive raid and dungeon system designed to test the very limits of players’ skills
● A constantly evolving community, with quality expansions honoring the Classic title
Is WoW the best MMO game of all time? Opinions differ, but it’s surely the most popular of all time, with the game breaching into the realm of popular culture. If you love Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, as well as The Frozen Throne, this is a dream come true.
However, one should be very careful when playing this top MMO. It’s still one of the most addicting games in existence. Before you start playing (again), be sure to call in sick for work the next day!
12. New World
● One of the few top MMORPGs that focus on past times, not a fantasy world or a dystopian future
● Numerous classes and character types to imitate a nightmarish 17th century North America
● The land evolves as it does in real life, something you don’t see very often
Amazon Game Studios surprised everyone when they launched the alpha version. As soon as we’ve tried it, it’s safe to say that this is surely the best new MMORPG 2019 will see. The unique twist on the founding of America interested both history aficionados and seasoned MMORPG players. It’s not every day that a new MMO comes and blows everyone away.
A whole continent is at your disposal, with additional features such as Twitch-integration and unique events and rewards.
● Everything is designed so that players are encouraged to take risks and make daring moves
● Individual players compete for the throne and are forced to form alliances
● Every character has advantages and disadvantages that you have to plan around
ArtCraft wanted to try something different and it looks like they have an ideal contender for the best new MMORPG 2019. Instead of focusing on just gameplay, they managed to merge the beautiful design with politics.
You have to think like a real politician, instead of trying hard to accomplish as much as you can. With a fealty system based on hierarchy, you can plot together with other players and rule the world with an iron fist.
14. Lost Ark
● An action-centric playing format with additional strategic elements
● Multiple camera angles to add to the realistic feel of the entire game
● Uniquely designed demons as skilled enemies
What happens when you fuse Biblical lore, demonic antagonists and a futuristic feel? You get Lost Ark, one of the best new MMORPG 2019 games. Even the best version has caused a lot of stir in the gaming community. The realistic feel signified to both critics and fans alike that Smilegate just might have created a legendary title.
We don’t see this mix of stories and influence often, so it’s going to be an amazing journey from start to finish. The final enemy will be the demon lord Kazeros and his six nightmarish legions. We can’t wait.
15. Project TL
● An automated dynamic weather system
● Destructible build to add to the realistic feel of this open-world game
● A focus on player interaction
The Lineage franchise is one of the most legendary MMORPG series of all time. Fans across the world were ecstatic when NCSOFT announced Project TL as the next installation. With a projected release this year, Project TL looks to be one of the smoothest, most engaging MMOs of this era. It’s designed to be a sequel to the original lineage game.
All we know for now are experiences from the closed beta and rumors concerning a 2019 release. Since the game has been in preparation mode for over 8 years, it looks like we’re in for something big.
16.Ascent: Infinite Realm
● The game is set in a steampunk universe where machine rule over humans
● Most of the battle is done from vehicles
● You can modify your own mech and power it up as you advance in the game
Kakao Games made sure they introduced something new in Ascent: Infinite Realm. As all players will engage in combat in a futuristic world, the focus will be on customizing your own jets, mounts and other vehicles.
It’s a never-before-seen focus in the history of MMORPG and we’re excited to see the end result. Judging by the closed beta and gameplay videos, the astonishing blend of nature and futurism will make this one of the best MMO 2019 games. In a fight between man and machine, who will prevail?
17. Ashes of Creation
● Every player affects the world in this MMORPG, not the other way around
● Your actions and decisions will determine which quests, NPCs or events you will experience
● Castle sieges are the centerpiece of this lore-rich MMO
Intrepid Studios are about to release their own contender for the best MMORPG of this era. A high fantasy world is the setting for spectacular battles involving different guilds and factions. You will be able to muster everything from wizards to trebuchets in an effort to attack enemy castles.
There are also different tactics and commands related to defending your own realm, which we are eager to see. If you’re a fan of old school strategic battles, Ashes of Creation will sweep you off your feet.
18. Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
● An interesting blend of mythology and strategy
● Political turbulences that require players to cooperate with one another
● Much attention has to be paid to preparing for an encounter
One thing we haven’t seen in MMORPGs is preparation. Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen urges every player to do research on enemies and prepare their weapons and spells accordingly. Such an approach signifies that MMORPGs of the future will be more and more like real-life wars.
With interesting lore revolving around the world of Terminus and an innovative approach, this game is deservingly on the list of the 27 best MMO and MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond.
19. Chronicles of Elyria
● The first MMORPG of all time where your character grows old and dies
● Requires you to master basic economic principles in the beginning
● Quests are non-repeatable
Ever since MMORPGs started being popular, people have been asking – “what if someone made an MMO game that resembles real life?” Soulbound studios decided to answer that question, by introducing a seemingly difficult approach to gaming.
Everything is realistic – you can’t redo quests and you only have a limited time to leave your mark on the world. Will you be a merciless assassin, a peasant or a glorious king? Choose wisely!
20. Camelot Unchained
● A unique take on the Arthurian mythos of medieval Britain
● Players can affect the economy of the game with their purchases, thefts and more
● A major focus on crafting armor, weapons and just about anything else
City State Entertainment decided to give their MMORPG take on the legend of King Arthur. A man who became a myth, Arthur is the subject of numerous legends that are still popular to this day. Many developers have shied away from this opportunity due to the immense challenge.
In Camelot Unchained, you get to experience the full might of Arthur, as you get to decide to align with either him, the Celts or the Vikings. Do you think you have what it takes to wield the power of Excalibur? There is only one way to find out.
21. Atlas MMO
● A focus on piracy and sailing
● 700 landmasses, thousands of discoverable zones and ten different world regions
● A separate PvE for players who don’t wish to engage in PvP combat
Not many MMORPG games are focused on both size and experience. Atlas MMO is an exception, as the developers at Grapeshot games decided to create a 45.000-square-kilometer behemoth of a world. Your job is to assemble a crew and build a ship that can withstand all the traveling needed to discover the world.
There are over 300 skills in an immense talent tree. Do you wish to test your skills in the most realistic MMO challenge we’ve ever seen? Don’t hesitate to try.
22. Saga of Lucimia
● No PvE
● The players band together to defeat enemies and conquer parts of the world
● Storylines that may take months to finish in their entirety
Based on the legendary tabletop game that influenced the fantasy genre, Saga of Lucimia is an MMORPG for methodical gamers. It’s designed for those who value careful planning and who place value in well-orchestrated adventures, where every player has a designated role.
If you’re a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, you will realize why Saga of Lucimia on our list of the 27 best MMO and MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond. Stormhaven Studios have placed emphasis on the community factor and the results are nothing short of epic.
● A modern setting
● You are free to do anything – yes, literally anything!
● Players form their own economy and society on a server!
MMORPGs set in modern times are incredibly rare, but Identity is more than just an interactive MMO game. In it, your options are limitless. You can go to school, start your own business, go broke and even end up in jail. The game got popular through its Kickstarter campaign, as it is the first game to depict real life this accurately in a video game.
It is your job to create your own identity in this beautifully designed game by Asylum Entertainment. Set your own rules on your own private servers or join existing ones – everything is up to you and you only!
24. Star Citizen
● The theme is straight out of a Sci-fi movie, with galactic alliances and evil aliens playing a part in the grand scheme of things
● Hundreds of weapons that you can either upgrade or downgrade
● Impactful decisions – everything you do matters
Chris Roberts, the designer of Privateer and Wing Commander, joined forces with Cloud Imperium Games Corporation to make this amazing game. It’s almost like a hybrid of World of Warcraft and Star Trek, in a way that makes you reimagine what MMORPGs are all about.
Every action you decide on will affect billions of denizens within the Milky Way. Some consequences will be visible immediately, while others will only show after time. Are you ready for that kind of responsibility?
25. Dual Universe
● The new Continuous SingleShard Cluster server tech enables millions to play in the same world
● Set in a futuristic sci-fi cosmos full of challenges and perils
● A realistic economy
While Novaquark only released an early alpha version, Dual Universe has already shown its potential to be the best new MMO game in 2019. Thanks to the new tech, there will be no more separation between players.
You will be able to partake in a whole cosmos of events and interactions, even influencing a 100% real economy. Build civilizations or destroy them, as the entire known and unknown universes are at your mercy. Do you have what it takes to be a leader?
26. Fractured MMO
● Ability to start your own business and choose your role in the world
● The race you choose affects your experience within the game
● You can become stronger and do more if you have a good guild
What makes Fractured MMO so amazing is the fact that the entire game is designed to encourage teamwork. While your business can reach amazing heights, you will never be able to succeed as much as you could with a skilled guild.
Set in ancient times, Fractured MMO allows you to master 400+ skills and abilities. One skill and one business decision may be the difference between being a king or a peasant. Dynamight Studios really outdid themselves with this title.
27. Legends of Aria
● A million possible scenarios that depend on your decisions
● Lore that expands with everything you and the other players do
● You can manage a city, start a business or even be a spy
And last but not least, one of the most interesting MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond – Legends of Aria. When you gaze at the game first, you will see that every detail has been developed to perfection. Intricate mechanisms respond to everything you and your allies/enemies do.
If you choose so, you can crumble the economy, become a dictator or even assume a Robin Hood role and steal from the rich. Where do you imagine yourself in this amazing world?
To sum up the best MMO & MMORPGs to play in 2019 and beyond
Some games on this list have reigned supreme for over 15 years and some have yet to make an impact. If you love cooperating with people from all around the world, any of these games will leave you in awe. Abandon reality, pick up a sword/gun/laser and enjoy yourself.
check out our latest review about 24 Best RPGs & JRPGs of 2019
Let us know in the comments if you played any of these titles.